The Watkins Scholar Program, established by Trustee Emeritus Edward G. Watkins ’56 and the E. G. Watkins Family Foundation, awards full, need-based scholarships to twenty high-achieving, domestic students who possess a love of learning, strong leadership skills, and a desire to contribute significantly to Cushing Academy. A recipient of the Watkins scholarship will be provided a four-year scholarship as long as the Scholar is in strong academic standing.
Applicants considered for the scholarship will have demonstrated:
- Extraordinary academic achievement marked by intellectual curiosity.
- Outstanding character, an exemplary record of citizenship, and the potential for excellent leadership within the Cushing community and beyond.
- Economic need for full scholarship, as determined by Cushing’s financial aid process.
- An excitement for life and involvement within one’s community.
REQUIREMENTS & SELECTION PROCESS
- Open to all ninth-grade, domestic, boarding applicants.
- To be considered for this scholarship, potential recipients must submit all Cushing application materials by the February 1 deadline.
- The Cushing Admissions team and the Watkins Scholarship Committee, including members of the E. G. Watkins Family Foundation, will determine Watkins Scholarship recipients; and all applicants will be notified by if they are finalists for the scholarship and by March 10 if they are recipients of the scholarship.
- The renewal of the Watkins Scholarship for each recipient is reviewed annually by the Cushing Admissions team, Headmaster, and Watkins Scholarship Committee.