The Academy’s Expectations outlined here serve to promote the health, safety, and educational advancement of our community. These expectations reflect the values of Cushing Academy, underscoring our belief in human worth and personal dignity. It is important that these expectations be understood and followed:
- Be honest and trustworthy.
- Care for oneself and others.
- Behave in a manner that contributes positively to the welfare of the community.
While formal, written rules are kept to a minimum, all rules at Cushing Academy are based on the basic principle that we take care of ourselves, we take care of others, and we take care of our community. To live up to this principle we want all of our students to take an active role in shaping the tone of our school community.
As described in our mission and Portrait of a Graduate, Cushing Academy values the character of our students. Among oher things, character refers to the acts of courtesy that we pay to one another in the dorms, on the playing fields and stage, and elsewhere. For example:
- Students demonstrate their care for the community by wearing proper school dress.
- Students demonstrate care for their peers by respecting school and personal property.
- Students demonstrate care for themselves and their teachers by engaging in the process of learning.